Tortilla is one of the quintessential Spanish dishes. It is usually served as a side dish, tapa, snack or even in a Sandwich. Although we have yet to embrace the idea of sandwiching potatoes between two slices of bread, we love it. We prepare tortillas in our culinary adventures in Seville, Granada and even in Morocco, just mere miles away on the other side of the Mediterranean. Enjoy!
1 lb 2 oz. potatoes, peeled and diced
3 oz. olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
Optional: Smoked Spanish Chorizo sausage
1. Fry the potatoes in very hot olive oil until cooked through but not browned.
2. Then add the onions and cook until soft.
3. Drain the potatoes and the onions after frying.
4. Mix everything, even the chorizo, in a bowl and whisk the eggs. Add salt.
5. Pour 1-2 Tbsp. of olive oil into a small, non-stick frying pan and heat on medium heat. Be careful not to get the pan too hot because the oil will burn. When hot, stir the potato onion mixture once more and pour into the pan and spread out evenly. Allow the egg to cook around the edges. Then you can carefully lift up one side of the tortilla to check if the egg has slightly “browned.” The inside of the mixture should not be completely cooked and the egg will still be runny.
6. When the mixture has browned on the bottom, you are ready to turn it over to cook the other side. Take the frying pan to a sink. Place a large dinner plate (12”) upside down over the frying pan. With one hand on the frying pan handle and the other on top of the plate to hold it steady, quickly turn the frying pan over and the tortilla will “fall” onto the plate. Place the frying pan back on the range and put just enough oil to cover the bottom and sides of the pan. Let the pan warm for 30 seconds or so. Now slide the tortilla into the frying pan. Use the spatula to shape the sides of the tortilla. Let the tortilla cook for 3-4 minutes.
7. Turn the heat off and let the tortilla sit in the pan for 2 minutes. Slide the tortilla onto a plate to serve. If eating as a main course, cut the tortilla into 6-8 pieces like a pie.