Frying okra slices gives them a crispy quality that is delicious and slightly addictive. Perfect as a side vegetable or as a “chip” with a chilled gin and tonic (another personal favorite).
3 cups okra, sliced
1/2 cup of gram (garbanzo bean) flour or corn flour
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
Salt – to taste
1/2 tsp chat masala
Oil for frying
1. Slice the okra on the diagonal and quite thin. Let it dry out for an hour.
2. Then add flour, red chili powder and turmeric.
3. Season with salt just before frying or else the okra will release water and become soggy.
4. Heat the cooking oil on a medium flame. Do not overheat the oil since okra can burn easily.
5. Deep fry the okra a little at a time, until crisp and drain on paper towels.
6. Sprinkle chaat masala powder on the fried okra and toss it well. Serve immediately.