3 Tbsp clarified butter (ghee) or oil
1 piece cinnamon bark
1 bay leaf
1 each mace
3 cardamom seeds
3 black peppercorns
18 oz boneless chicken thighs, cut into large pieces
1/2 cup red onion paste (recipe below)
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 Tbsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp Indian chili powder
1 Tbsp cashew butter (un-roasted preferably)
2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
1/4 c yoghurt, plain
salt to taste
1. Heat the oil and add the whole spices, let them crackle.
2. Add the onion paste and stir. Sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Stir-in ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander and chili powder. Add 2 Tbsp of water.
4. Mix in chicken and sauté for a few minutes.
5. Add cashew butter, cream and yoghurt. Cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add 1 3/4 cups water and let simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Adjust seasoning and serve with naan, roti or steamed rice.
Note: To make onion paste: boil a red onion for 10 minutes. Puree in food processor with some of the cooking liquid. If you want, you can freeze the leftover onion paste for when you have a hankering for chicken korma.
Photo: Amy Roth, NYC Private Chef and PMCA Alumna x2