As part of our Tasting Royal Rajasthan Culinary Adventure we are fortunate enough to be invited to a home for a cooking demonstration and lunch. Amma is the family’s matriarch and she makes the best lemon rice, taking care to cover each grain with the delicious seasonings .
1 1/2 cup basmati rice
2 teaspoon cooking oil
2 teaspoons of Chana dal (optional)
2 teaspoons of white urad dal
About 10 cashew nuts broken up
2 teaspoons of black mustard seeds
3 dry red chillies
1 teaspoon Turmeric
Asafetida ( optional ) a pinch
3 Tbsp of cilantro leaves finely chopped
One inch of ginger finely chopped
1 green chilli finely chopped
Juice of 2 medium size lemons
- Cook the basmati rice.
- Place the cooked rice in a large bowl and ensure that the grains are separated.
- In a wok heat the oil, add the chana dal, urad dal and cashew nuts till they are very slightly brown.
- Next add the mustard seeds, and when they sputter add in the red chillis.
- Add turmeric and asafetida.
- Pour this over the rice.
- Add the coriander, ginger and green chilli.
- Salt to taste.
- In the end add lemon juice.
- Mix the rice gently and well.
- Ready to serve with green chutney, raita or rasam
Yield: 4-6 People